Friday 8 May 2020

Day 1 of Digital Fluency Intensive course

Kia Ora

Today the first day of the Digital fluency course started, and it couldn't have come sooner. As you may or may not know with the Covid-19 Pandemic the emphasis for education has been Distance learning.
As a first year teacher, whose first term was abruptly cut short I can tell you it has been no easy feat. So after day 1, I am feeling much more confident in the possibilities of my new teaching environment.

The Manaiakalani programme has greatly influenced how important it is to prepare the your people for the future and how to approach it.14 years ago, the forward thinking individuals who started the Manaiakalani programme had great intentions but could not have imagined how important it would've been due to recent events.

We learnt about how to use the chrome browser and organize our drives to our advantage and create a workflow using bookmarks; we looked at why creating google groups may suit organisations better than just relying on your contact list, and then explore what google docs can do other than just creating texts.

In light of our nation progressing to Alert Level 2 and having the students return to the classroom I created a poster using Google docs.


The learning I will be taking with to class, is to definitely review the skills I may assume my students have when it comes to docs and teach them the new tricks that I learnt today. Voice typing, is definitely a technique I will be practicing with my students too.

I can't wait for the next session, watch this space to see more of what I am learning.

Until next time. Bye!

1 comment:

  1. Kia ora Shiree,
    Great to read you have some skills you can use in the classroom. Your learners will find the voice typing a useful tool to add to their kete.
    Good to have you on the DFI journey.
    Ngā mihi,
    Maria

    ReplyDelete