Wednesday 1 July 2020

Day 8 Computational thiking. Beep beep boo bop

It is inspirational that the adults that conceived the Manaiakalani concept. They saw the need in the community and did not step aside to how things are but rather worked towards how things could be. Empowering students and teachers “...take back control of their lives.” Information technology shouldn’t just be a took to do their learning but rather creating new ways of learning, and that is definitely something I have learned in class. It is a privilege to be part of this kaupapa and have a hand in empowering the students. The activities today opened me to world of coding, the computational thinking behind the buttons and actions we see on screen and definitely take for granted. I attempted using Scratch and Minecraft and its so simple to use and so simple to understand, why was I avoiding this? I am definitely going to include this in my programme for the students to have a clear, logical process of doing things. Plus they get to create something digitally just like their computer games. We had an opportunity to look at the Technology curriculum as well, which truth be told I haven’t included much of in my planning but now that I have a better understanding of it I am way more confident. Transferable skills is something I love. Applying learned skills to other situations and contexts and seeing as by the time our students are ready for work the jobs they will be doing have not yet been created. Mind blown!! So as teachers we are trying our hardest to anticipate it, which by the way is impossible. But equipping the students with transferable skills, which they can adapt to their circumstances is a gift that will keep on giving. Look a teacher selfie, hard at work. Haha

No comments:

Post a Comment